The EVIDENCE project is a strategic initiative funded by EACI and designed to unlock the potential of SUMP implementation. Quite often, the evidence that is available is ad-hoc, of varying quality and either inaccessible or unavailable within the timescales of decision making. However we know that evidence does exist, but often it’s not in an accessible format. Policy makers and professionals that need it don’t have the time or resources to search through it and to gauge the credibility.
The EVIDENCE expert team have been working to solve this ‘credibility gap’, and has:
- completed extensive research to identify existing data (research papers, reports, feasibility studies, etc.) available on the benefits of sustainable transport
- completed a series of peer reviews of this data to sort out the reliable research from the unreliable data
- produced a set of 22 mobility measure reviews (summary and in depth)
- made the evidence available on this website (over 350 source documents)
- published an in-depth report of the whole review process
- produced Training Materials for academics and trainers
This enhanced knowledge will help facilitate effective integration of sustainable transport measures into urban mobility plans, transforming them into SUMPs (Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans). In doing so countries, regions, towns and cities will be better placed to improve health, increase economic efficiency, enhance access to employment, reduce the running costs of transport systems and help manage financial demands for new infrastructure.